This message will be much more welcoming soon. Meanwhile… welcome!
In the Diocese of Ottawa, all couples must:
- be eligible to marry in the Province of Ontario
- at least one of the parties must be baptized; where one party is not, permission of the Bishop will be required
- the proposed marriage cannot be a breach of discipline another church (of which one of the participants is a member)
- take part in a Marriage Preparation Course (the guidelines permit other forms of preparation, but practically the courses run by the Diocese are the best form of preparation, the most cost effective, and take the least time)
- provide 60 days notice to the clergy. If any of the following apply, longer may be required
- a proposed marriage outside the church building
- the remarriage of divorced persons
All marriages at St James’ are governed by the rules of the Anglican Church if Canada (found here) and the document “Marriage in the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa Guidelines“. Your first interview with the clergy will ensure your proposed marriage meets all the basic requirements.
The fee for weddings at St James is waived for regular contributors to the parish. Otherwise the fee is $300. Fees for the custodian ($45) and the altar guild ($45) are required by all couples.
The regular honorarium for the clergy is $300. Where this fee presents a hardship, it may be reduced at the discretion of the clergy. The fee for the organist is $150. One rehearsal is included.
You can read the Bishop’s direction regarding same gender weddings here.
Use this form to provide the basic information we need to get started, and someone will be in touch soon to book your first meeting with the clergy.