If you’re thinking about celebrating your marriage in the Anglican Church, we’re excited and happy to hear from you. All couples are welcome to inquire and meet with one of the clergy, not limited by gender, age, or previous marital status. We are more than a place to have a wedding. We are a place to be married, to live our best lives together and to celebrate God’s gift of love and life.
All couples must:
- be eligible to marry in the Province of Ontario
- at least one of the parties must be baptized; where one party is not, permission of the Bishop will be required
- the proposed marriage cannot be a breach of discipline in another church (of which one of the participants is a member)
- take part in a Marriage Preparation Course
- provide 60 days notice to the clergy. If any of the following apply, longer may be required: a proposed marriage outside the church building or the remarriage of divorced persons
All marriages at St James’ are governed by the rules of the Anglican Church if Canada and the document “Marriage in the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa Guidelines“. Your first interview with the clergy will ensure your proposed marriage meets all the basic requirements.
The fee for weddings at St James is waived for regular contributors to the parish. Otherwise the fee is $300. Fees for the custodian ($45) and the altar guild ($45) are required by all couples.
The regular honorarium for the clergy is $300. Where this fee presents a hardship, it may be reduced at the discretion of the clergy. The fee for the organist is $150.
To provide maximum flexibility for couples and clergy, we now use an online webinar Marriage Prep by HumanCare Associates. Learn more at marriageprep.com. You can discuss this with the clergy when you meet with them about your wedding plans.
Submit a request
Use this form to provide some basic information, and the office will be in touch soon to book your first meeting with the clergy.